THE LEVANTE PARLIAMENT
62 rooms and 5 suites
SHARE THIS ON FACEBOOK
HOT DEALS AND NEW HOTELS
ARCHITECTURE / INTERIOR DESIGN
Glenn Rolus Borgward
The original building now housing The Levante Parliament hotel dates back to 1908, and is a perfect example of the Modernist architecture that was initiated by the Vienna School and Bauhaus. Its main characteristics, still evident today, are an emphasis on rationalism, the elimination of ornament and the use of technological advances in materials that allow for flexibility in design. These are also the guiding principles by which the multidisciplinary team of architects, designers and artists transformed the building into an innovative space that integrates a gallery and The Levante Parliament hotel.
The glass design objects by artist Ioan Nemtoi have not only been given 4.600 square metres of prominent exhibition space, Nemtoi was also instrumental in the design of the restaurant and bar areas. The undefined borders between gallery and conventional hotel space have resulted in a challenging fusion of art and contemporary design.
The vision for The Levante Parliament’s overall design concept is based on an interpretation of the four natural elements – transparency and light represent fire, the natural building materials symbolise earth, the generously sized rooms with 3.3 metres ceiling height stand for air, and the lineal forms and flexibility represent water. A range of core materials including light natural stone, glass, chrome and dark mahogany wood were selected to communicate the relationship to nature and harmonise with the classical modern design of the building.